Re: [patch] x86, small syscall entry speedup, 2.1.90

Alan Modra (alan@spri.levels.unisa.edu.au)
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 23:14:32 +1030 (CST)

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:
> >
> > this patch speeds up syscall entry and page faults by 1 cycle on a pentium
> > ;) It's tested.
>
> It also won't actually compile with any sane assembler. Admittedly "gas"
> isn't sane, but maybe somebody will clean gas up some day.
>
> Please fix gas instead of making the kernel uglier..
>
> Linus
>
> > - mov %dx,%ds; \
> > - mov %dx,%es;
> > + movb %dx,%ds; \
> > + movb %dx,%es;

OK, I've made a patch to gas, and will test it and submit it to the
gas maintainer. It will prevent gas emitting those extraneous
data-size prefixes for segment reg moves. (It will also bomb with an
error when given Ingo's bogus instructions)

Please don't ask to see the patch just yet. gas is complex, and I
really should test this one a bit before inflicting it on people.