Re: 2.1.90-x breaks ifconfig somehow..

Sat, 14 Mar 98 21:07:48 +1000

> Those numbers don't look right at all, everything seems to be
> working fine.. Why is this? Its impossible that the ppp device
> hasn't sent a packet successfully, because I'm using it and its
> working fine.. Same with the loopback device, and as far as I can
> tell eth0 is working perfectly.

> I've tried the latest version of net-tools, with the same result.

>ifconfig looks in the wrong place in the /proc/net/dev output for various
>statistics. It's been this way for some time, ever since the addition of the
>bytes tx and bytes rx fields were added to the
>output, they just so happen to be where error packets used to be reported.

Of course it's not difficult to patch ifconfig to look at the data in
/proc/net/dev, recognise whether it's a 2.0.x or a 2.1.x format, and then
display the data appropriately. I wrote such a trivial patch for ifconfig
some time ago and submitted it to the Debian netbase package maintainer.
Since then someone else's patch which does much the same thing has been merged
in to the Debian netbase package.
I am not sure about the status of the original netbase package upstream of
Debian, I am sure that they'll put in a similar patch soon (if they haven't
already done so).

Even if you don't use the Debian distribution you could just get it's
netbase package from ftp.debian.org and extract it with "ar -x" to get the
ifconfig binary...