Re: 2.1.89 broken?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:28:22 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Mike Jagdis wrote:

> That reminds me: I generally partition as root-swap-var but it
> would be kind of nice to have root as a grows-down filesystem
> so that data is clustered in the middle of the drive with free
> space on the edges. Maybe an fs flag that causes the fs allocation
> to go backwards or a partition type that tells the block device
> code to invert the block number sequence? Any takers?

That wouldn't matter much, since ext2 does allocations
on a group-by-group basis.

But generally systems can divide their data in 4 types:
- slow transfer, fast seek (demand paged stuff)
- fast transfer, fast seek (swap)
- slow transfer, not often used (/var)
- fast transfer, slow seek, files loaded in one big piece
(big files, eg movies or /home)

This would make it easy to partition in 4 pieces:
/home + src + multimedia
/ + /usr
swap
/var

Then the disk would spend most time seeking the last
three partitions, only to go out of it's way to load
a huge chunk from /home or multimedia data.

Rik.