Re: 2.0.33 vs 2.1.90pre

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:24:49 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Alfredo Sanjuan wrote:

> Well, Linus has just announced an imminent code freeze for the 2.1.x
> series of the kernel. I know that this process may take several months,
> but the problems with 2.0.33 and 34pre are still present, so its a good
> idea to switch production systems to 2.1.9x now (perhaps in a few
> weeks), waiting for 2.2.x kernels? Can we assume that 2.1.9x kernels are
> enough stable?

You can assume that there is at least one kernel in the
..80 - .90 range that will work stable for you, however,
I can't tell which one, since it seems to be different
for each system...
Personally, I've found the .8x kernels to be quite stable,
but hey, that's just me.

At the very least, the .8x kernels aren't guaranteed to
lock up, as 2.0.33 seems to be.

Rik.