Re: mmap() versus read()

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
10 Mar 1998 21:25:15 -0800

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> clone() really _is_ very lightweight. I think that some of the confusion
> comes from the timings of "pthread_create()" which is much less
> lightweight partly due to memory allocation issues, partly just because
> the Linux clone-based pthreads library hasn't had all that much time to be
> optimized etc.

That's very true. The current implemenation is mainly written to be
correct. Not much time so far was spend on hard optimization.
Xavier's skills to write good code make it reasonable fast but there
is certainly much room to improve. Optimizations plus possible
restructuring will take place once we have the full functionality.
At least this is my plan.

-- Uli
---------------. drepper at gnu.org ,-. 1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA