Re: SPAM on linux-kernel

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:11:22 -0500 (EST)

Edward S. Marshall writes:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, B. James Phillippe wrote:

>> If the list is not already closed to subscribers, closing it might help.
>
> Please don't do this; many people on here probably read and mail from
> multiple addresses. Better would be a system like the NANOG list uses.

Agreed. There must be some way to allow posting without the flood
of messages directly into your mailbox. Personal posting addresses
can be revoked (linux-kernel-4j6s9830p-@vger.rutgers.edu) are OK.
Post-only subscription is OK. An "ObKernel" requirement is OK.

Personal posting addresses seems to be the most robust solution.
You can send from anywhere as long as you don't give the list
maintainer reason to disable your address.

I wouldn't want to waste David Miller's time on this though.
Perhaps he would let some other mail expert handle the matter.
It would be a great way for a non-hacker to contribute, and I'm
sure there must be some really good mail experts here.

>> Failing that, maybe we need a filter that checks each
>> message for an overabundance of the words "marketing"
>> and "bulk email sofware" ;)
>
> Filtering of a public mailing list, unless -very- carefully
> done, can be disasterous,

Sure, it would need to be conservative. Some "good" keywords would
have to override the bad ones. For example, only kill posts with
"bulk email sofware" when they don't also have one of "vger", "spam",
"majordomo", "procmail"... When in doubt, don't kill the post.

> and since vger's already pretty bogged down with all
> the list traffic (from what I understand), adding
> filtering on top of it would be a royal annoyance.

Cost of filtering is O(posts).
Benefit of filtering is O(subscribers * spams).

Overall, that could be a win.