Re: 2GB physical memory on an Intel/Linux box

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 21:08:19 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> I think that people with more than 2Gig of ram on intel should be
> forced to buy alpha. Big penguin should come, take any memory over
> 2Gig sell it and buy alpha instead.

or just try the patch i've posted yesterday. I'd say it's a reasonable
solution up to 3G physical memory, and can be used until 3.8G physical
mem. True, with a 3G:1G split you get only 1G user memory per process,
but:

1) if it's a big server, it has many (smaller) processes

2) if it's a simulation system, it will have some 4 CPUs anyway,
thus it will run 4 heavy processes at least.

i still have to see a valid setup where it's a disadvantage to have 'only'
1GByte user virtual memory.

-- mingo