Re: 2GB physical memory on an Intel/Linux box

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:42:03 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > I don't know of such a patch, but it should be possible to use the extra memory
> > as swap space, even if it's not usable directly. This is also useful for people
> > with broken motherboards where the L2 cache doesn't cache more than the first
> > 64/512 Mb of RAM, making the remainder unusable as general-purpose
> > memory.
>
> I've just posted patch for slram, which is that ramdisk you are
> talking about. Unfortunately, I can not imagine how I would use
> additional memory as ramdisk, since /dev/slram uses assumption that
> all physical is mapped 1:1 into kernel space. Doing without this
> assumption is pretty different.

We map physical memory 1:1 into kernel space because we want
QNX speed for process switching et al.
But since ramdisk swapping is cheaper than swapping from disk,
we might be able to afford doing segment-switching in this
special case.
(I'm no x86 expert, so correct me if I'm wrong)

Rik.