Re: 2.1.89 broken?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:09:40 +0100 (MET)

On 10 Mar 1998, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> I am of the belief that having almost 60 MB disk cache on a 60
> MBworkstation is a bit of an overkill...

Hmm, yes. Time for a little tuning in /proc/sys/vm/*...

Here's my /proc/sys/vm/swapctl:
8 8 1 8 0 0 0 0 \
64 4 1024 1024 -200 1 1 0

Note the 1024 values for SWAPOUT_WEIGHT and BUFFOUT_WEIGHT,
this means that the system will be somewhat less agressive.

I even wrote documentation for these files :-)

> OK - the performance is worse for me (I thought that was implicit, given
> the huge swap) since it spends much time swapping - during which it is
> utterly irresponsive.

The swapping is hugely due to free_memory_available(),
how's performance with the uPatch I just posted?

Rik.