Re: 2.1.89 doesn't compile

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:48:44 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Jim Noe wrote:

> Got a clean compile by doing 'patch -p0 < patch-2.1.89' instead of just
> 'patch < patch-2.1.89'
> And all the 'patch created' files were in the right spots.
>
> Why would this make such a difference? From the man pages I gather that
> 'patch' defaults with -p0.
> (a lil' offtopic, but a soon to be kernel hacker, so help me out a bit :)
>
> Patch version was 2.1

I've seen the same advisory in the man pages about -p0 being the default.
Don't believe it. I learned a long time back (well, 1994 anyway) to
always use -p0 when applying patches to anything. Without this switch,
files are often created in new trees or, occasionally, the current working
directory.

Steve