[ADMINISTRIVIA] Re: SPAM on linux-kernel

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 20:23:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> If the list is not already closed to subscribers, closing it might help.

Please don't do this; many people on here probably read and mail from
multiple addresses. Better would be a system like the NANOG list uses.

Under their system, there are two lists, nanog and nanog-post. Anyone can
subscribe to either one. By subscribing to "nanog", you actually receive
the list traffic. By subscribing to nanog-post, you gain the ability to
-post- to the list. This tends to keep the signal-to-noise ratio down, and
generally thwarts most roboposting bots.

The nice thing is that you can subscribe multiple addresses to post, but
only actually receive mail at one of them (ie. I could post from
emarshal@logic.net, but receive email at emarshal-linux-kernel@logic.net
for filtering purposes ;-).

> Failing that, maybe we need a filter that checks each message for an
> overabundance of the words "marketing" and "bulk email sofware" ;)

Filtering of a public mailing list, unless -very- carefully done, can be
disasterous, and since vger's already pretty bogged down with all the list
traffic (from what I understand), adding filtering on top of it would be a
royal annoyance.

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

Spammers: Please email my blacklisting service at "spam@logic.net".