Re: Truncated digests

Eric Princen (eprincen@maad.com)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:40:40 -0700

> From: Dale Amon as Operator <root@vnl.com>
> Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 18:53:47 +0000 (GMT)
> Subject: Truncated digests
>
> Is anyone else recieving randomly truncated digests? I've
> been seeing this for the last month at least. Only on
> kernel digests, never on anything else I rcv.

This happens to me too. I have already email the list maintainers. The
cause in my case is encoding. I'm using Outlook Express on a Win95 box for
reading my mail, but I also forward to another account to read with pine
just for these occurrences. Digest #1663 truncated before your message
here:

>To show the box on console all the time you can run for example:
>
> clear; stm; while :; do clear; sleep 1; done
>
>Andrea[s] Arcangeli
>
>begin 644 print_eip-2.0.33.diff.gz
>M'XL("'7$`C4"`W!R:6YT7V5I<"TR+C`N,S,N9&EF9@#,.VESXDBRG^%7Y'A[
>MQM`<1AP^<+O?T#;M9MO&#K#G>+,;"B$5H&>0-#IL$S/]?OO+S"H=8,!X=F/C
>M=;A!4%E957EG5F+9XS%4(K\/,]N)GBOU:JW::%3,F3"<@PO7C.;""8W0=IV#

right at the start of the encoding. What mail readers are people using???
Is anyone else getting the truncation? Is this a broken reader (trying to
autodecode) or is there something else wrong? My guess is the former. Would
it be possible to filter out the "begin 644 " at the beginnings of lines???
That would quite possibly do the trick at least for me, but I am not sure if
that would break thinks for others (which would be just as bad.) We can take
this to private email, but I wanted a larger for the questions.

Added note: This encoding sceme seems to come through fine.

> - --1053580162-1133330555-889166137=:17170
>
> I2luY2x1ZGUgPHN0ZGlvLmg+DQojaW5jbHVkZSA8c3lzL3R5cGVzLmg+DQoj
> aW5jbHVkZSA8c3lzL3NvY2tldC5oPg0KI2luY2x1ZGUgPG5ldGluZXQvaW4u
> aD4NCiNpbmNsdWRlIDxzdGRsaWIuaD4NCiNpbmNsdWRlIDx1bmlzdGQuaD4N
> CiNpbmNsdWRlIDxhcnBhL2luZXQuaD4NCiNpbmNsdWRlIDxzeXMvdWlvLmg+
> DQojaW5jbHVkZSA8ZXJybm8uaD4NCg0KI2lmbmRlZiBJTkFERFJfTk9ORQ0K

-Eric ;-)

--
Eric Princen
Micro Analysis & Design