Re: Linux and Ultima Online

Jim Nance (jlnance@avanticorp.com)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:44:03 -0500

On Sun, Mar 08, 1998 at 09:45:43PM +0000, Jason Spangler wrote:

> - Page starvation?
>
> There is plenty of free memory available (real and virtual), but we get
> occasional crashes in glibc while in a new or malloc. I've read some old info
> on page starvation and changing some settings in /proc/sys/vm/freepages.

I have seen this happen on a glibc system after calling free() twice on
the same memory. Actaully I closed the same FILE pointer twice, but
that causes memory to be freed twice. It took me a while to track this
down because the problem went away if I statically linked the executable
or if I used libc5. I found it by using the electric fence package,
which is probably already installed on your system. Man efence will
give you some more information.

Hope this helps,

Jim