Re: ip forwarding question

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
09 Mar 1998 03:49:43 +0100

Benny Amorsen <amorsen@sscnet.com> writes:

> TM> I downloaded and installed 2.1.89 and noticed something different.
> TM> /proc/sys/net/ipv5/ip_forwarding turned into ip_forward. Was this
> TM> a deliberate thing, or did I set something during the configure
> TM> process which did this?
>
> Looking at the patch, the change seems deliberate. At the same time a
> lot of other sysctl's were removed.
>
> It would be interesting to hear why.

The reason is that the introduction of ip_forwarding into 2.0.30 was a
"accident", the patch was never intended for a release kernel. 2.1 had already
gone its own way. Please note that the semantics are different too:
2.1 ip_forward uses the SNMP IPv4 MIB values 1 no routing 2 routing, while
2.0 ip_forwarding is just a boolean (0 = no routing, != 0 routing). The 2.1
way is "right", while 2.0 was just a quick hack.

-A.