Re: Compaq Armada laptops...

Steve Roberts (listread@havoc.strobe.net)
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 01:04:54 -0800 (PST)

> On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Nathan Uno wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had any success getting the kernel to run on the Compaq
> > Armada series laptops? Any hidden "gotchas" in terms of kernel support
> > of the hardware?
> >
> > My biggest problems with laptops is that it's hard to know what's under
> > the hood, so it's hard to tell if Linux supports the hardware.
> >
> > Any information is greatly appreciated.
>
> I've never put Linux on an Armada, but all I know is that we (at the
> University of Dayton) have had no ends of problems with these machines.
> ESPECIALLY in the docking stations.
>
> And also, being a true Compaq machine, the BIOS setup utility is on a tiny
> DOS partition at the front of the drive. The BIOS acutally uses DOS!!!
> ICK!

I ran linux on one for a a few weeks as an internal web server until
the real machine that had been allocated became available. The laptop
is at work so I don;t have the model number handy, but a redhat 4.2
nfs install went great on it. Didn't set up X so no idea on how that would
go, but even the detection of a low end PCMCIA network card went card
(same card that sometimes takes fighting with win95 for 4 hours to get
detected).

Steve