Re: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 23:04:05 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > Clustered swapping however, _is_ going to make a _huge_
> > difference. So if you want performance, better focus on
> > something that will work.
>
> Sorry, what is clustered swapping? Unless you have dedicated disc for
> swap (you don't have it, in most cases), you'll fight with normal fs
> for disc head. I'm not sure that anything clever will help.

It means that we'll do swap I/O (at least the writing)
in larger blocks, so we don't have to seek as much as
we do now. The fs does it too (readahead, lazy writing)
and the swapping code would really benefit from something
like this.

Rik.