2.1.82-87: Hanging in __wait_on_page (was: Re: Hang in wait_on_inode with SMP 2.1.87)

Richard Jones (rjones@orchestream.com)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:44:38 +0000

Steve Hsieh wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Carsten Gross wrote:
> > The problem occurs only with newer 2.1.x kernels and is (unfortunality) not
> > reproducable. 2.0.3x runs solid on my system. Typically heavy disc activity
> > seems to provoke the hang (Large copies with lots of files, activity from
> > different processes and so on)
>
> I think I have a similar problem, I believe starting around 2.1.8x.
> If there's heavy disk activity, whatever process is involved gets
> stuck, and I can't kill it. Unlike Carsten, though, it is repeatable
> -- if I do a 'cp -a /usr /mnt' where a different drive partition is
> mounted in /mnt, cp will hang.

I have a very similar problem. Processes which do
heavy disk I/O occasionally fall into D state, blocked
in mm/filemap.c:__wait_on_page (not *inode!). This bug is fairly
reproducable -- if I wait a day or two, my NFS server
is bound to fall into this state and require a reboot.

Can someone send me a patch to the code that will help
me to determine where __wait_on_page is being called
from?

Is it possible to get a call trace for a process stuck
in TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE state? This would help A LOT.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones  rjones@orchestream.com Tel: +44 171 460 6141 Fax: .. 4461
Orchestream Ltd.  262a Fulham Rd.  London  SW10 9EL.  "you'll write in