Re: Can Kernel Compression Code make Sense?

Trevor Johnson (trevor@jpj.net)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 17:00:22 -0800 (PST)

Daniel Egger wrote:

> If we are talking about performance compression on any cache is
> pure nonsense IMHO....

Caches are limited in size and are substantially faster than the thing
they're caching (if not, either the cache or the cached thing might as
well be eliminated). Time spent compressing and uncompressing the data
will slow down the cache (I assume this is your point) but more data will
fit in the compressed cache, so I/O to the slow substrate will be needed
less often. Overall, it could be a win.
___
Trevor Johnson