Re: mysterious 2.0.33 crashes

G. Sumner Hayes (sumner@collegium.adsl.net.cmu.edu)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:57:48 -0500

Hubert Mantel <mantel@suse.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Alfredo Sanjuan wrote:
>
> > No way, today I got 3 Oopses against my MTA, and the machine was running without
> > mail services 11 hours. I'm running 2.0.34-pre2 without CONFIG_PCI_OPTIMIZE nor
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> pre-2.0.34-2 breaks DOS-Emu, strace and gdb and shows many other
> instabilities. I've got several kernel panics in safe_wake_up_process
> which is introduced by the patch. Also, I got sporadical data corruption
> with loop filesystems, but I'm not yet sure if this is also due to that
> patch.
>
> Please try stock 2.0.33.

My uptime with 2.0.34-pre2 is approaching two weeks; the highest I was
up with 2.0.30-2.0.33 was 5 days before a mysterious freeze.

The mysterious freeze doesn't cause any oopses, so the above problem
appears unrelated.

As a datapoint, I so have PCI_OPTIMIZE and SKB_LARGE set, so it's quite
possible that those are the source of the problem. I've built a new
kernel without them in case the machine locks up again, but so far so
good with 2.0.34-pre2...

-Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light