Re: mounting unpartitioned drives

vvv@vvv.vsu.ru
20 Feb 1998 15:35:32 +0300

"MC" == Mauro Condarelli writes:

>> No, the partition analysis will _always_ happen - it is done in
>> the driver when it detects changed media. You'll have to live
>> with that bit of ugliness if you want to use the media in that
>> way.
MC> Correct.

>> It might be worthwhile opening a debate about some method for
>> telling a driver not to both with a partition scan. A boot option
>> or /proc interface might do the trick:
MC> Uh?? If the drive is removable (else why should you get "Media
MC> Changed") You MUST do a partition scan.

Why?? If I have not requested an access to any partition, but to the
whole disk, there must not be any partition scan. And if the first
sector does not end with "0x55aa" signature, the partition scan is
always incorrect.

And again: why do I get those errors 0x20 ("media changed") on
2._1_.84 kernel? Are the 2.1.x kernels missing the corresponding code
which is present in 2.0.33??

Best regards, -- Vladimir.

--
Artificial intelligence has the same relation to intelligence as
artificial flowers have to flowers.