Re: mkswap & swapon

Peter Moulder (reiter@netspace.net.au)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:37:00 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> People complain to me that under recent kernels it is
> possible to do "swapon foo" on the same file twice,
> and twice some amount is added to the available swap.

Can I request that the fix be to add a function `is_swap_file()' (or some
such; I vaguely remember that the bug isn't present for devices, but
could be wrong)? I could use such a function from my e2compr code to
make sure that we never compress a swap file in use (which would be bad
because swapping uses bmap()).

This can be implemented by going through the list used by /proc/swaps and
comparing ino/dev numbers.

pjm.