Re: Linux scheduler (fwd)

Adam McKee (amckee@poboxes.com)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:47:22 -0600 (CST)

> > For example, if we allow processes to remain below their minimum run-queue
> > provided they don't ever use up an entire timeslice, then a malevolent
> > program could then intentionally try to always use 95% of its timeslice,
> > but not the whole thing so as to avoid ever being sent back to its minimum
> > run-queue. For a process like this, starvation could be the best thing
> > that ever happened to it... a one-way ticket to run-queue 0 :-)
>
> No it isn't. Starvation only occurs when there are other
> processes competing for CPU all the time, and these
> processes have a higher priority.

Perhaps you did not give adequate consideration to my argument. You might
want to re-read it.

> I think I have another solution for the problem. We
> demote the problem to it's original minimum level when
> it uses the CPU slice completely, and we demote it two
> levels down when it doesn't completely finish it's CPU
> quantum.

I think this is open to abuse. Again, please reconsider my argument.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have effectively shot down my
argument. A scheduling policy that is wide open to abuse is unacceptable.

I appreciate the ideas and feedback, so I hope you don't get the
impression that I don't.

ttyl

Adam McKee phone: (306) 343-0881 (home)
(306) 933-1544 (work)
Programmer/Analyst (306) 956-4070 (voice-mail/pager)
SED Systems, Inc. email: amckee@poboxes.com
Just say NO to IE 4.0. <http://www.sun.com/announcement/>