Re: [OFF-TOPIC] lofs & tfs

Trevor Johnson (trevor@jpj.net)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:03:04 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone know what happened to the lofs support which was mentioned a
> while ago (May 97(ish) I think??).

Here are some messages about it.

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 15:00:23 +0000 ( )
From: Benjamin C R LaHaise <blah@dot.superaje.com>
To: Mario Mikocevic <mozgy@maja.zesoi.fer.hr>
Cc: "Andrew E. Mileski" <aem@netcom.ca>, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: loopback filesystem (was Re: dynamic partitions)

Hello,
> How about mounting subdirs through loop driver ?!
> Like
> /somewhere/in/hd/space on /somewhere/else
>
> Or am I talking offtopic here !?

Offtopic - no, but you are confusing things a bit - the loopback device
creates a block device from a file. A filesystems is needed to mount a
directory elsewhere on the machine. Luckily, I've written one (get
ftp://dot.superaje.com/pub/linux/lofs-2.0.30.diff). Just remember that
most of the time this is an ugly hack that can be avoided w/symlinks &
such, but it has valid uses (chroot is *very* useful w/lofs). So just do
a 'mount -t lofs -o dir=/somewhere/in/hd/space /somewhere/in/hd/space
/somewhere/else'

-benjamin