Re: Reproducible crash under 2.1.86 [solved and fixed]

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 01:05:21 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Tuomo Pyhala wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
>> Please Tuomo test this patch against 2.1.86 (sould work fine also against
>> 2.1.87). This patch fix fine all my locks.
>
>Well well, i applied this and the other also. Booted, tested, it seemed to
>be working fine. However, i left it running the mpg123 and ls -loop, and
>went to kitchen, when i returned it was fsck'ng :(
>
>Anyway, it didn't crash as easily as before, so this helped a bit :)

This fix things fine for me. What' s your /proc/dma? I only have the AWE32
as device that uses dma (and the hd of course but no problem from it). If
you have other devices that uses dma it can be that that crash your
system.

Is it definitely an hardware bug? Does we should replace our motherboard
(again in my case) or this can be called a feature and fix the kernel for
it?

Andrea[s] Arcangeli