Re: compile all modules.

Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:21:18 +1100

Peter-Paul Witta wrote:
> if you compile drivers in modules, the user gets a usable set of drivers.
> so why is the default to include or not include drivers into the kernel?
> why not make the "unselected" drivers compile into modules by default?
> they use little diskspace and can always be removed (rm'ed) afterwards.

I guess this is for time saving, many people still use slower machines
or
do frequent build during development.

What I would like to see is an independent selection of kernel-included
and separate module builds. Just because I include a module in the
kernel
does not mean that I do not also want it loadable. The default should be
to build everything as a module and package a kernel with selected
modules.

The config should offer D-ynamic, S-tatic, B-oth and N-one options
instead
of the current y/n/m.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky		(eyal@eyal.emu.id.au)