Re: VFS 64-bit clean? Not yet (was Re: large-file-system)

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
17 Feb 1998 19:26:59 +0100

On Mon, Feb 16, 1998 at 09:02:25AM -0500, chip@atlantic.net wrote:

> > It can. NFS V3 is 64bit and needs to put 64bit values in the page
> > cache to get full results.
>
> But does it need to store _arbitrary_ 64-bit values, or does it just
> need to store the offsets of the mapped pages used by the given Linux
> machine? If the latter, then the original plan would have worked,
> up until someone accessed a 1024G file.

Think *HUGE*. I know people working with files, not filesystems of that
size, though not under Linux and not via NFS.

In fact there are installations like the weather data archives at the DWD
where the total archived data's size will in just _few_ year reach the
64bit limit. As of today those installations are of course not on a
single filesystem or even machine - I'd just like to point out with what
magnitude of data some people are working. If you'd have ever seen boxes
with 10GB of memory swapping you take such limits serious.

Ralf