Re: Uninterruptable sleep D state (was Re: Unkillable rm -rf on 2.1.86)

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:17:21 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, F Harvell wrote:

> Questions for anyone else experiencing processes getting stuck in
> the D (uninterruptible sleep) state:
>
> a) Is your system SCSI only? What controller/driver?
> b) Is your system drive IDE? Do you have any SCSI devices?

SCSI + IDE, Advansys ABP940U controller.

> c) Are you using md? What modes?
> d) Do you have more than one swap partition? Is it equal priority?

Linear /usr/local, two swap partitions of equal priority.

> e) What process(es) do you see hanging?

I've seen just about anything hang, but the problem completely
disappeared with .85 _and_ the disabling of the read-cache on
my SCSI disk...

Rik.