Re: Unkillable rm -rf on 2.1.86

Mathias Froehlich (frohlich@na.mathematik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:00:47 +0100

Chan Shih-Ping wrote:

> Sometimes running rm -rf on a directory causes an unkillable
> rm process. It doesn't consume any CPU time but never returns.
> The system cannot be shutdown cleanly after this.

I have that problem too! Sometimes update hangs with D state
(the state field in top), this causes very exiting e2fsck's!
Or moves or copy's of big files end in such an unkillable process.

I have a ASUS P97LX-DS with two PII installed, I use the onboard
aic7880. I saw this problem with 2.1.8[56] (2.1.87 untested up to
now). The problem occures independent of the pirq=0 kernel argument.

Mathias Fr"ohlich

--
Mathias Fr"ohlich              e-mail: frohlich@na.uni-tuebingen.de
Institut f"ur Mathematik, Universit"at T"ubingen, D-72076 T"ubingen