Re: How to read-protect a vm_area?

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:50:24 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ok, 2.1.87 is out there on ftp.kernel.org now, and it has the clever
> PROT_NONE thing done. It seems to work for the little test-case I wrote,
> and I also verified that swapping still works, so it seems to be all ok.
> I'd still like people who have test programs or similar to actually check
> it out,

Thanks, I think it's better this way.

Note that my first post was more of theoretical interest because I was
convinced (was I the only one ?) that copy_from_user and friends would in
all cases behave _exactly_ as if the memory access had been performed from
user mode, and I suddenly realized that I was wrong :-(

OTOH, I had not investigated at all the possible security implications.

Gabriel.