Re: Mail reflector !!!

Todd Derr (infidel+@pitt.edu)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 22:17:18 -0500 (EST)

Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl> writes:
> On 14 Feb 1998, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Another easy solution is qmail's X-Loop: header. It just adds an
> > such a header from the outside it discards the message. Very simple
> > and seems to work well.
>
> It won't work for linux-kernel however. There might
> be people with newsreaders that don't erase the

Well, those people will just have to deal with it. X-Loop is
happening now for linux-kernel and the other lists I own (as well as
turning the filter back on for unsubscribe/remove/etc), and it will
soon be the default for all linux-* lists.

Inconveniencing a few people with braindead software is a very small price
to pay for avoiding crap on the list, not to mention making my life
easier. I'll send these people (if they exist) a nice form letter
asking them to fix their software, and be done with it...

Of course, we always face the possibility that X-Loop will let a loop
get through; if this happens we'll have to get more drastic.

Of course, we all know that now that I have "fixed" the problem, no-one
will ever cause a mail loop again.

todd (owner-linux-kernel)