Re: mysterious 2.0.33 crashes

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 15:11:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Jos Vos wrote:

> FWIW (as I already told in another mail): I'm having the same type
> of problems on a system that happened to run for years without any
> unexpected crashes with 1.2.13. After upgrading to 2.0.32/33 (and
> with a complete new distribution, not based on glibc), the system
> mysteriously halts 1 or 2 times a week without _any_ message.

Please bear in mind a point Doug has already stressed -- the 2.0 kernels
hit hardware much harder that 1.2 kernels.

As a real data point, we had a machine running 1.2.x, and the processor
fan had stopped. It lasted two weeks of uptime. We booted on one of the
2.0pre kernels, and invariably got 3 or 4 oopses merely on boot-up, and
that was if it didn't spontaneously reboot.

Chris