Re: Aiee... (2.1.8[156])

David Woodhouse (Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 01:39:30 +0000

> On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
>
> > If someone knows how to get the kernel to record the panic messages
> > *before* crashing please tell me <g>
>
> If you can, try to get (and enable) a serial console. This needn't be
> a "real" VTxxx; an old DOS box running kermit, and a Win3.1 box with
> terminal should be enough to do the job ok.

An alternative to this is to find an extra display adapter and put it in
your Linux box. I've been using an old MDA card for this purpose for a long
time now, and it's proved to be extremely useful. I get distinctly unhappy
when I have to copy panic messages down by hand, though :)

> When I can get my hands on a lineprinter, I intend to fix up a parallel
> console patch....

You serious? I must be able to find one somewhere around here, and I'm sure I
can get it sent to Oxford. I intended to do just the same after I'd finished
the MDA console stuff, but I'm a bit busy ATM. We need to allow for different
loglevels on each console though - I don't mind whole piles of crap appearing
on the MDA screen in the middle of the night, but the printer's a different
matter.

Now I wonder if we can use the internal mail system...? :)

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.