Re: OFFTOPIC: GGI and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux -LONG

Lance Dillon (riffraff@gte.net)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:42:54 -0500

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > X is meant to provide services not policy. Thats very important.
> >
> > People _want_ policy. (they complain "every window works different")

> > > MSWin isnt a networked windowing system
> >
> > That does not matter. You can ship the Windows API over the net,
> > as many 3rd party products do. You could ship MFC over the net.
>
> <ironic>
> Yeah, like WinCenter...
> </ironic>
>
> > On the net, bandwidth matters. It is rather odd that X is
> > less efficient than Windows.
>
> Now you make me laugh! Sometimes I use WinCenter (e.g. if someone sends me a
> very very very \ldots very important document in M$-WORD format that I can't
> simply drop in /dev/null), and I really don't have the impression that Windows
> is more efficient than plain X.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Geert

sorry to continue this thread, but...

we use wincenter at work, for all our ncd xterminals....its okay, i
guess, but doesnt handle everything properly (microsoft apps arent truly
multi-user, so you get problems)....it is much better than windd,
though, which sends entire bitmaps over the network for remote
displays....

--
Lance Dillon                   | "Not in the face,
UNIX/NT Sysadmin               |  not in the face!"