Re: ext2 corruption in 2.0.33

Nick Holloway (Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk)
30 Jan 1998 08:13:19 -0000

tytso@MIT.EDU (Theodore Y. Ts'o) writes:
> There has been exactly one other such report (although unfortunately I
> don't have the kernel version number) from Nick Holloway
> (Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk) on September 30, 1997.

Digging out the original message...

This is Linux 2.0.30, running on a Dell XPS/90, and the disk involved
was an IDE (Seagate ST52520A, 2446MB). The disk the most recent addition
(several months ago) to a machine that has been in service for a couple
of years.

Details missing are that this is the only drive on a secondary IDE
controller, with two disks on the primary controller. It was a little
short of memory for the tasks it was performing, so swap activity (to
a disk on the first controller) was probably a little higher than was
good for it. The IDE controllers are (and recognised by the kernel)
buggy RZ1000's.

Incidentally, the oops associated with tcp_recv_msg (which often hit squid
when running 2.0.30 with 32Mb memory) seem to have gone (or reduced)
now it has 80Mb. As other people are still reporting this oops with
2.0.33, I guess increasing the memory has helped.

--
 `O O'  | Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk  http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/
// ^ \\ | Nick.Holloway@parallax.co.uk  http://www.parallax.co.uk/~alfie/