Re: 2.1.82 -- Aiee, killing interrupt handler and panic

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:17:33 -0500

Josh Buysse wrote:

> Just compiled and ran 2.1.82 -- within one day under fairly low load, the
> machine had an oops (that ran off the screen -- sorry) The stack from
> the oops was repeating (no idea how many times)...
>
> Configuration: WD8013 ethernet, 486/50 EISA, DPT PM2012/B SCSI with one
> disk, IDE interface with one Quantum disk. It's running as a light-duty
> web and mail server (Apache/PHP/MySQL) with libc 5.4.38 and gcc 2.7.2.3.
> Since the web designers are on Macs, netatalk is loaded and Appletalk
> support is active.
>
> Here it is.... (and since it's the first one I've decoded, hope it's
> right.
>
> do_8259A_IRQ
> init_task_union
> ret_from_intr
> do_8259A_IRQ
> init_task_union
> startup_32
> do_bottom_half
> do_IRQ

I had a similar problem on my machine that may have been due to compiling for
SMP on a UP machine. Usually it's no problem for me, but recent kernels have not
been very forgiving of SMP on UP. The problem hasn't repeated since recompiling.

So if you've left the SMP flag set, I'd suggest recompiling your kernel for UP.

Regards,
Bill