Re: Packet Scheduling

Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:42:40 +1100

On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 at 08:02:44PM +0100, Josip Gracin wrote:
> I haven't tried linux packet scheduling yet, but my guess is that, since
> the scheduler can only control transmit queues, interactive sessions'
> performance while doing FTP transfers over serial links will not be much
> improved. Am I right?

Yeah, I've suspected that would be the case. The transmitted traffic for
large incoming transfers will just be ACKs which are small. Maybe a scheme
to delay incoming packets or maybe bandwidth limiting on specific ports or
something.

> Unless, of course, the other side is Linux too, which happens more and
> more often to me. ;)

Not here. I'm talking to a terminal server.

--
[     Kevin Lentin               Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au      ]