Re: Philips DCC Recorder success?

Maarten Boekhold (maartenb@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:16:52 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, C. Jasper Spaans wrote:
>
> > Here's my question: I have access to a portable Philips DCC recorder with
> > some Multimedia capabilities - ie, I can use it as a tape backup drive.
> I don't think you can use it for doing backups. DCC uses lossy compression
> which makes it impossible or at least very inpractical.

No, you can use it to make backups. The multimedia extension kit just
sends over raw binary data which bypasses the codec. Also this way you
can get encoded audio-files *into* your computer. These are PASC encoded,
which is pretty much MPEG-I layer I with some extra null-bytes. mpg123
can decode these files (use the -q switch, or else you get a warning for
every frame it decodes!). btw. mpg123 is *way* faster in this than the
software Philips has available for decoding!

Maarten

| Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft, NL |
| Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section |
| M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl |