Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.icarus.com)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:37:50 -0800

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> Hi all developers,
>
> For a while, I've been thinking about developing a new GPLd GUI and windowing
> system for Linux. I have recognized the need for a unified user interface for
> Linux. I don't like X because the client is the fundamentally wrong place to
> put the user interface object handling code.

This can be implemented by window managers and some clever libraries
(thus allowing your idea to coexist with existing X apps) or you can add
extensions to the X server. display postscript is one such extension.

One can also argue whether the GUI of an application should be internally
consistent or externally consistent.