Re: [OFFTOPIC] Netscape to give away source code under GPL. (fwd)

Erik Andersen (andersee@debian.org)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:31:15 -0700

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 11:13:54PM -0500, linux kernel account wrote:

> It will not be under GPL, but a gpl like licence (according to the press
> release I just read).. Anyone have a url to netscape's licence?

http://home.netscape.com/download/license_text.html

However, I am not sure that this has been updated yet...

>From their FAQ http://home.netscape.com/communicator/free_faq.html?cp=nws01flh1

Will Netscape make Netscape Communicator 5.0 source code freely available?

Netscape has announced that Communicator Standard Edition 5.0 source
code will be freely available for modification and redistribution.
Netscape believes that harnessing the creative abilities of all
Internet developers will be an unprecedented way to advance the
features and quality of Communicator for all customers. Detailed
license terms, additional information, and a developer version of
Communicator Standard Edition 5.0 source code is scheduled to be
available by March 31, 1998, on the Netscape Web site.

and from http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html?cp=nws01flh1

Netscape plans to make Netscape Communicator 5.0 source code available
for modification and redistribution beginning later this quarter with
the first developer release of the product. The company will handle
free source distribution with a license which allows source code
modification and redistribution and provides for free availability
of source code versions, building on the heritage of the GNU Public
License (GPL), familiar to developers on the Net. Netscape intends
to create a special Web site service where all interested parties
can download the source code, post their enhancements, take part in
newsgroup discussions, and obtain and share Communicator-related
information with others in the Internet community. Netscape will also
continue to develop new technologies and offer periodic certified,
high-quality, supported releases of its Netscape Communicator and
Navigator products, incorporating some of the best features created by
this dynamic community.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/