Re: OFFTOPIC: (Re: 3.0 wishlist....)-->64bit

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:57:21 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Gabriele Paciucci wrote:

> Dear linuxers,
> the thread about the wishlist is great, but I think that a big problem is
> if WE ARE READY FOR THE 64BIT INTEL ARCHITECTURE.

Ready for a chip whos design is not yet finalized, much less available?

If you'd like to convince the Sacred Masters of the Cult of WinTel to give
up copies of the magic chip designs of nda to the GCC folks I'm sure
everyone would be happy.

> I've heard that glibc is ready, but the kernel?

What the hell are you talking about?

> SCO and other have announced that they are ready (is it true?) for Merced.

Vaporware for a Vaporchip.

What OSes are 64bit on the Ultrasparc and Alpha? :)

> Maybe this mail is not important like the wishlist's theread but many
> people want the ultimate version of a stupid software only for the
> 32bit!!!

I started the wishlist thread, I mentioned lots of 64bitness additions..
64bitness throught the os != merced.. It is currently impossible to even
begin work on Linux Merced because Intel is keeping the needed info a
secret..

Maby redhat/caldara/fsf could ask Intel for the prototype hardware to
begin a gcc (then Linux) port earley..

I'm sure that Intel has given MS the goods (considering how long it takes
MS to produce something)... I wonder if the laws are such that the Linux
vendors could sue Intel for closing them out..