Re: CD Partition (was: scsi naming (was: devfs patch v3))

Steven S. Dick (ssd@nevets.oau.org)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:06:30 -0500 (EST)

Pavel Machek <pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> > > I was amused to notice that when I put a music cd in an SGI, it
> > > automounted it, and made a directory containing all the music tracks...
> > > I can immagine what it might do with this mixed cd, but I haven't trid
> > > it. (Maybe I will tomorrow.)
> >
> > Cool. I am currently (well, was -- it has slightly fallen by the wayside
> > ATM :) working on a CD audio filesystem, which will make an audio CD
> > appear as a set of wav files.
>
> Are you sure this is good idea to have in kernel? Maybe we should
> create userland reader,

There already is one, it's called 'cdda2wav'. Its functionality varies
drasticly, as support for reading the music data digitally varies greatly
between cdroms. Some can't do it at all, some introduce skips and pops.

I think the SGI makes the music tracks available as raw audio files
rather than wav files. I'll have to check again.

BTW: I'd be more interested in making the _data_ tracks available.
I have disks right now with music tracks preceeding the data tracks,
and I can't access the data tracks under Linux, although I can under Windows.

Its a sad day when I can do something under W95 that I can't do in Linux.
Linux tries to mount the first music track and chokes. As far as I know,
there's no option to specify which track to mount...

Steve