Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:06:59 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > But that way you need a reserved section == wasted space.
> > The reserved section is called your swap partition.
> Which then must be as big as ram..

And which generally is. At least, I'm pretty sure most people arent
running less swap than physical ram. Isnt the general rule of thumb these
days that swap should be at least 2x ram?

> Actually, I think that the people who really think this is useful should
> code it.. If it turns out to be as good as you think It may be included..

A bit beyond my kernel hacking abilities unfortunately. But even good
things (GGI, etc) may require a _lot_ of public pressure to get included
due to severe biases by developers.

> Even if it isn't.. You'de have it for your problems.. The majority of
> linux developers just dont need it..

The question isnt whether its do-or-die. Eg we can live without GGI, but
its a very good thing to have in the long run. The question is whether its
fundamentally useful.

For instance, one could advocate that strace is enough to track down bugs
in user applications. But some problems really require core dumps and gdb.

-Dan