Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:54:55 -0800 (PST)

On 19 Jan 1998, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net> writes:
> > > I expect a better solution follows the form of equal cost multipathing +
> > > more interesting load balancing algorithms.
> > If you have been following the discussion, Alexey Kuznetsov declared this
> > is impossible in linux. Even though Cisco can do it, Alexey declared Linux
> > too mature for that sort of childish nonsense (multipath+balancing) :-)
> I guess when you hack linux to turn off the routing cache on demand it
> could probably work.

Cisco can turn routing cache on/of on demand, per interface. Very
flexible.

> But such a hack is unlikely to ever get incorporated in the official
> kernel sources.

Why? Because the authors find such a concept distasteful? (For similar
logic look at the recent raw/buffered device thread).

> A better way to do it is to fix EQL probably (or e.g. use the MPP code
> in the synchronous PPP driver)

The question is, would this incur significant overhead at high speeds?
Wouldnt just multipath+no-route-cache be better at e.g. 10mbps?

-Dan