Re: First snapshot of a proposed set of fixes to make 2.0.34

Anthony DeBoer (adb@onramp.ca)
19 Jan 1998 15:46:11 -0000

Eric Hoeltzel <eric@dogbert.sitewerks.com> writes:
> Indeed. I just noticed that my 2.0.32 system is screwing up
> timestamps on files on an NT server. I had never noticed this
> before on 2.0.29 or 2.0.30. Is it possible that something has
> changed with smbfs since 2.0.29, or did I just never notice
> the problem before?

One of the first things I learned about SMB is that "thou shalt have both
machines syncronized to the same NTP master". Having system clocks
out-of-sync while eg. doing a "make" on the client box causes all sorts
of grief, especially if you were editing sources in a shell session on
the server. If you're running stuff that isn't timestamp-sensitive,
OTOH, you might get away with it.

(Note that my experience was with a real server and an MS client; you
have the opposite, so YMMV.)

--
Anthony DeBoer <adb@onramp.ca>