3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 00:38:41 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Hans-Joachim Baader wrote:

> Linux 2.2? Given the long time since 2.0 and the many changes it has
> undergone, it seems justified (even more eppropriate) to call it 3.0.
>
> hjb

No!
There have not be many 'user important' changes..

I suggest 3.0 be released once all the below are accomplished, many of
them already are but they need to be stable and around long enough to have
userspace utils..

* Ext2fs (call it ext3 perhaps) improvements:
* Room in inode for 64-bit files
* Room in inode for 64-bit times (ctime/mtime/ possibly drop atime)
* Room and Implimentation of acls (actual use of as a compiletime module)
* Room and Implimentation of compression (again a compiletime option)
* Prehaps a little more cleaverness for directories (faster lookups
would be nice).
* An alternate FS, (can be beta)
* Faster operation would be nice (see reiserfs)
* Faster checking (supposidly this will also happen in reiserfs eventually)
* Needn't be as mature as ext2 (can be a expirmental option)
* R/W ntfs would be of use to many people.
* VFS Changes
* Support for 64-bit file operations. The actual use of 64-bit file
stuff (other then the inode space) should be an option.
* a set of open flags to provide the equivlient of raw devices:
I.e. i_sync, o_sync, o_ordered (no read caching, no write caching,
and do it without reordering).. It would be nice to have this work
on both files and block devices (for multimedia on files, and for
formating and stupid DBMS on block devices).
* Coda/KAutomounter
* Networking changes
* Full IPV6 (is the standard set it stone yet?)
* Packet scheduling
* Improved NAT
* All fancy ipv4 stuff (nat, firewall, scheduling) ported to IPV6
* Some form of IPV4 -> IPV6 masq.
* Support more ISDN adaptors.
* Some kind of kernel interface to make high performance encrypted
vpn possible
* Ipsec would be nice too
* Ethernet load balencing (I've seen stuff to do that)
* GGI support (evstack!) config option.
* Either in-kernel support for enough PNP to boot a system with
a isa pnp boot device, or a viable userspace solution (like an improved
boot loader, initramdisks that must be rebuilt really dont cut it)
* USB+Firewire support
* Sound code cleanup (Alan Cox said this was planned for 2.3)
* Repair broken scsi naming (Devfs looks good so far)
* Core Kernel Changes
* SMP IRQ balencing (we dont do this yet)
* More/smarter use of spinlocks (networking code?)
* Memory fragmentation Protection
* Pageable Pagetables?
* SHM improvements.
* Possibly DIPC integration, at least some of the
clustering features that arn't WAY out there. (support
for a daemon providing shared pid space)
* Anti-exec-stack option

Thats all I can think of right now.. I'm sure there are many more things
that I would feel nessassary in a 3.0 release.. I'm sure others can add..

Adding all these things will take a long time.. But thats good, I'm hoping
that the release of 3.0 will coenside with several userspace events:

* libc6/glibc maturing (I was hoping for the interduction of glibc in 2.2
kernel based distributions, but 2.2 has come a bit late for that.. Right
now many things to work quite right with glibc (at least out of the box
they dont) in awhile things will, perhaps this will coenside with 3.0)

* pgcc features into the mainstream compiler.

* Widespread userspace libggi support.

* Increased WINE functionality

* DOSEMU that can run win3.1 in a xwindow mostly out of the box (almost
there, when will they declare 1.0??), dosemu on non-x86 (that has just
started)..

* Distributions for less common platforms (m68k, mac68k, arm?, sgi)

* Some userspace IPV6 support (of course nettools would have it, I refer
to things like lynx and tcpd and ssh).

* First working GNOME release (lets not get into a KDE war here :) )

* MD5 pwfiles. (pam?)

* First distribitutions that are safe for 'dummies' (as in eaiser to use
and MAINTAIN then w95) possibly tied to the release of gnome..

* Distributions with really smart admin utils! (think stuff that can admin
just about everything that comes with the distribution, in text mode,
graphic mode (ggi/X), webmode (shttp), and (drum role) some sorta X.500
directory mode (ala Novell NDS)) I'd like to see free dists have this,
not just caldara (I say things to avoid replys 'caldara has NDS support')

* A really nice ggi/X mp3 player.. :) hehe

With these and the above kernel 3.0, you have ....the operating system of
the future.... :)

I'm sure as the time aproaches, many more things will be realized..