Re: ext2_free_inode errors (with 2.0.32)

Paul Wouters (paul@xtdnet.nl)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:13:40 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Jos Vos wrote:

> ?r-------- 35327 30208 65408 71419655 Dec 19 1907 ipfwadm
>
> This looks to me like an overwritten inode table...

we had some similar things happening on (prob 2.0.30) our server too.
We even ended up with a file we cannot delete

b--Sr-xrw- 1 28020 13881 80, 77 Jan 13 1970 5-2.gif

I cannot chown,rm,chmod this file. I moved it to lost+found which worked,
where I gues it will reside happily ever after...
Although i only found this file recently, we had more problems a while ago
when I got a lot of files with zero's in them (eg jan 1 1970, owned by root,
group root, chmodded to 0000). I upgraded ext2fs utilities after a few checks
on th filesystem (If reported it had completed and fixed stuff, while running
it again gave new errors with new fixes etc).

> Any useful suggestions to avoid such problems in the future?

No clue. Keep recent backups :)

Paul