Re: Off-topic year-2000

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:44:57 -0500 (EST)

On 16 Jan 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.95.980116034803.342A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>
> By author: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > The current time, set by (void)time(&tim); in the program is correct
> > in all cases and does not show the 5-hour difference. The 5-hour
> > difference is likely caused by our 5-hour offset from GMT, but it
> > doesn't show such an offset when using the current time, only in
> > the future time.
> >
> > My TZ variable is set as TZ=EST and is exported. Removing it makes
> > the time GMT so I know it's being checked and included in the
> > calculations.
[SNIPPED]

> This is most likely because "EST" isn't a valid timezone, although the
> older timezone tables probably accept it. Try setting it to
> (preferred) America/New_York or to US/Eastern and try again.
>
> -hpa

The links in /usr/local/share/zoneinfo are set up to point to US/Eastern.
I note that nothing sets TZ automatically.

I find that setting te TZ variable to to EST5EDT makes it work!!!??????

Does this mean that the gnu wizards heard that Eastern Daylight savings
time will not exist anymore after Y2K?

Notice, the current localtime is correct in both cases!

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.70 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).