Re: [Feature Wish] GGI in Linux 2.3

Jason McMullan (jmcc@beans.visus.com)
16 Jan 1998 10:49:33 GMT

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be) wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > What about running libGGI on top of the framebuffer device drivers, Geert?? :-)
> Perfectly possible. And IMHO it would be a very interesting target!

I'm all for it! Making a libGGI display target for the fbcon
architectures should be a matter of 2-3 hours coding, and 5-10
hours debugging. All you have to provide to be a libGGI
target is:

* ggiPutPixel
* ggiCheckMode
* ggiSetMode
* ggiPollEvent/ggiReadEvent [mouse/keyboard access]

We already have targets for X-SHM, Xlib, KGI, [SVGAlib - buggy],
[XFree86-DGA - buggy], memory, Glide, and [of all things!] AAlib.

You really should see ggiDoom in AAlib - it's a blast!
[Yes, that's right - play Doom in an Xterm!]

See http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi for details & code.

--
Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI - http://beans.visus.com/~jmcc
NT 5.0 is the last nail in the Unix coffin. Interestingly, Unix