Re: devfs

Fredrik Lundholm (exce7@ce.chalmers.se)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:22:57 +0100 (MET)

> > Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:04:34 +1100
> > From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>

> > slices inside a standard MS-DOS-style partition. What would you
> > suggest to handle that? How about:
> > /dev/sd/c0b0t0d0p1s6 :-)
> >
> > Ugh. I sure hope we don't need both "p" and "s". My only Solaris
> > experience
> > is on the SPARC, and there's no "p" in use there. Do we really need both?
>
> In fact, current partition code in linux won't use it anyway, if it existed.
> And I haven't seen such setup either and I think it doesn't make much sense
> to use both types of partitions on one disk, although it is technically
> possible.

Actually, if we expect disks to grow in size to about ~100GB, 7 or 8
partitions won't really suffice where 7*8 = 56 might.
So the question can be narrowed to:

Shall we now prepare for such large disks in a weird fashion? (as in above)
Shall we by then invent a new partitioning scheme all together?
(perhaps something even a boot-prom will understand by then)
Shall we do both?? (rethorical)

But why diffrentiate between scsi- and ide-disks? In my opinion all
'disks' should be visible in a /dev/dsk or similar.
Now that even Sun uses cheap IDE-disks in their new Ultra5 and Ultra10
workstations, differentiation is doomed.
(No I wouldn't buy one of them 'workstations' either, actually I'm delighted
with my Ultra 170E here at work)

--
Fredrik Lundholm
exce7@ce.chalmers.se