Re: 2.1.79 on alpha. No go!

Paul Wouters (paul@xtdnet.nl)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:51:57 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Any successful experiences with 2.1.79 on Alpha machines? 77 & 78 panic
> immediately on boot. 79 just locks solid after the "turning on virtual
> addressing and jumping to kernel.." message. 2.1.76 is the last recent
> kernel that actually boots and runs.

So far, I've got some weird results as well. I wanted to upgrade from 2.0.30
to 2.1.77 on my Multia. 77 failed with the above mentioned restart of milo.
78 failed with a bad slab magic error, init failed to fork() and we died.
I fixed the 77 problem by upgrading milo and the firmware (don't know which of
the two fixed my problems). But this only caused 77 to hang at the end of
init's rc.sysinit script (RH42). Adding or removing lines just showed it
died when trying (or neglecting?) to close the file and move on.

To make matters more strange, Mika has compiled a 78 kernel which works fine
on his (or her, I know a Japanese girl named Mika:) Multia, but which fails
to boot on mine. I tried using a new init (2.71) but that didn't help. I am
still trying to figure out was is wrong. The only difference between those two
Multia's is the amount of RAM (24 vs 32) and me having a PCI slot filled with
a bttv card. Another friend of mine is going to try this kernel on his Multia,
so we can see wether it's my multia which just has flaky hardware or something.

Paul